Friday, August 7, 2009

Quintron and Miss Pussycat

I wanted to post quickly before I left for the night.  I had the privilege of seeing Quintron and Miss Pussycat last night at echo.  Although I had never seen them before, after listening to their myspace cuts - http://www.myspace.com/quintronandmisspussycat and http://www.myspace.com/mrquintron - I thought I heard some promise in the hammond B3 I was hearing and wanted to check it out for myself.

Needless to say, I was extremely happy with my decision.  The band took stage to a puppet show complete with weird headed puppets, rain drops, snakes, Michael Jackson teases and antics you rarely see in a concert performance.  The puppet experience was complete with a story line, conflict and climax - which brought them right into their performance - where the duo continued to impress.  

I wish I had known about Quintron when I've visited New Orleans in the past (that is where the duo hails from) because they are just dope.  Quintron dominates on the B3 - but plays it in conjunction with other instruments - a spit powered drum device and this crazy turntable that makes sounds from holes punched in oversized soup cans -that makes his use of the organ unlike any other boogaloo I've ever heard.  

The music is probably best described as boogaloo indie-punk funk and is definitely worth the price of admission.  Both Miss Pussycat and Quintron came to the dance floor at different points of the night to rock out in the middle of the crowd, amp up the energy and start the indie hipster boogie down.  The crowd absolutely ate it up and clamored for an encore.  

The after party continued in the Sunset district - but I just hit up the taco truck for a burrito and came home.  If anybody knows what went down at the after party - let us know in the comments section.     

No comments: