Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Sounds - October 21, 2009 - The Wiltern

Sometimes the best decisions in life are made in an instant, and although that may sound a little dramatic, but it completely encompasses how I feel about last night. At the very last possible moment, I decided to buy tickets to see one of my favorite bands The Sounds, as they played the first night of a two-night residency at The Wiltern.


Last night marked the sixth time that I have seen The Sounds and I would have to say that it was the best that I have ever seen them. With the release of their third album Crossing The Rubicon, the sounds now have a fantastic catalog that makes for an amazing live show. If you’re a fan, you won’t be disappointed in their set lists because they play everything you want to hear. From one of the first songs they wrote as a band (“Living In America”) to their latest single (“Beatbox,” which, in my opinion, was the best song from last night) and everything in between. Every time that I see The Sounds I always leave thinking about how incredible lead singer Maja is, and though I did think she was as amazing as always, I was really taken back by how great the band is as a whole and was angry with myself for never really appreciating how great they have been in the past.


With the exception of a few rows in the mezzanine, the venue was packed and although it’s taken them a long time to get to this level of success in America, the band will be the first ones to point out that non stop touring has brought them to where they are today. I think the best part about being a fan of The Sounds is that I’ve watched them go from playing a small club in downtown Detroit with about 50 people to a sold out show in Los Angeles, and I’ve loved every minute of the ride.


Here is the set list from last nights show:


Crossing the Rubicon

Dorchester Hotel

Queen of Apology

Hit Me!

Mine For Life

No One Sleeps When I'm Awake

Midnight Sun

Rock 'N Roll

Seven Days a Week

Night After Night

4 Songs & A Fight

My Lover

Hurt You

Beatbox

Underground

Painted By Numbers

Living In America

Ego

Encore:

Tony the Beat

Song With A Mission

Hope You're Happy Now

No comments: