Friday, October 2, 2009

Anna Terheim at The Troubador - October 1, 2009

Last night I had the pleasure of going to the The Troubador to see the amazing singer-songwriter Anna Terheim. For those unfamiliar with Anna, she is from Sweden where she has been honored with numerous awards, including being awarded Best Female Artist by the Swedish Grammyjury in 2006 after releasing her second album Separation Road. She released her fourth album Leaving on a Mayday in 2008, and it’s full of beautifully tragic music that feel like personal anecdotes of her life.


Last night, Anna’s backing band was Lonely Dear (who were headlining the evening) and she played songs from all of her albums, but most of them from Leaving on a Mayday. She sounds just like she does on the record, and I would go as far to say that some of her songs sound better live, especially the song “What Have I Done” which is one of the best songs I have heard in a very long time. The highlight of the show last night came during her last song. Anna was about to play one song until an eager audience member shouted out that she play “My Secret” from her self-titled EP. It was a really special moment because Anna said that it is such an old song and that she would play it because of that person. It ended up being my favorite song that she played because it was just her an a guitar.


With Lykke Li gaining so much popularity in the U.S. I can only imagine that Anna will begin to gain more recognition on this side of the Atlantic. I can’t recommend her enough and I expect great things from Anna Terheim as she continues to make a name for herself in the U.S.


To hear more from Anna Terheim, head over to her official MySpace page.


Thank you again to Chris over at Big Hassle to inviting me to the show last night.

No comments: