Friday, October 9, 2009

The Weekend

After a great midweek run of great shows featuring rising artists (Miike Snow/Jack Penate on Tuesday at Detroit Bar; Foster & The People, Odd Modern and Magic on Wax by Schpilkas at Dakota Lounge on Wednesday and Kesha and Brother Reade last night at Echo), SUPERGOODMUSIC is getting back to their funky roots this weekend.

Both Friday and Saturday, you will find me wilding out in my sweet feet on the Mint's dance-floor. Hard to miss the opportunity to see some of the finest in funk - and by that I mean, Leo Nocentelli of the Funky Meters, Stanton Moore of Galactic and Karl Denson of The Greyboy All-Stars.

Tonight, Leo and Stanton grace the stage for a performance they are calling "The Funky Meters Experience." DJ Rome will be opening at 8 pm, but the bayou stomp probably won't start until a little bit after that. I'd expect the Experience to play mostly Meters classics, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear a few other New Orleans flavored grooves, including some Galactic. All I 'm asking for is a "Trick Bag", and then my night will be set. That...and of course, Mr. Moore standing up behind the drums and beating them to shit.

Tomorrow, the sax funk doctor himself, Karl Denson will be going into new realms with his Tiny Universe. Amidst their reunion tour, after having been on hiatus for a few years, KDTU will most likely sell the place out AND crush the show. I'm excited because I've heard they've got some new material that features even strong vocals than their last work on The Bridge (if you remember, The Bridge showcased a much improved concentration on vocals - especially on songs like "Because of Her Beauty" and "Groove On"). If the new work is anything like some of my favorites from The Bridge, this new album will undoubtedly be in my heavy rotation. In addition to it being a reunion of an exceptional band, guitarist Brian Jordan, a former West LA resident, will be making his return to former stomping grounds of his (he frequented The Mint when he lived here). DJ Medi4 opens. BUY YOUR TIX IN ADVANCE AT THE MINT WEBSITE HERE - http://www.themintla.com/


No comments: