Monday, April 12, 2010

SUPERGOODRCA Coachella Recommendation: Ra Ra Riot on April 16th

The 2010 Coachella Music Festival is less than a week away, and with a lineup that boasts of some of the biggest players in all genres of music, but for me Friday April 16th is all about one band, Ra Ra Riot.


To think that I had never even heard of this band a year ago is astonishing to me because once I discovered them, they quickly became one of my favorite bands. They originated in Syracuse, New York and after forming began playing at venues in the area which soon resulted in an appearance at the CMJ Music Marathon in New York. After a rave review from SPIN Magazine, opening spots for Art Brut, Bow Wow Wow and Tokyo Police Club soon followed.


After a string of incredible things happened to Ra Ra Riot, tragedy came there way. After a show in Providence, John Ryan Pike, the bands original drummer went missing and weeks later his body was discovered. The band mourned the loss of one of its original members but promised fans to continue on despite the loss.


Ra Ra Riot released their debut LP The Rhumb Line on August 19, 2008, and, in my opinion, it’s a great representation of contemporary music and I fully stand by opinion of calling them one of the best live bands around right now. I have only seen them live at the 2009 Lollapalooza Festival and the 2010 SXSW Festival, but I can pretty much guarantee that I will be waiting at their stage on Friday to see them live for the third time.


If you don’t know anything about them then head over to the bands official MySpace page to hear some of their music.


Stay tuned for more Coachella recommendations from SUPERGOODRCA.



No comments: