Wednesday, July 8, 2009

RMFAO as in Rocking My Fucking Ass Off

Just got back from The Roxy a short while ago from an exhilarating and extremely dope performance by LMFAO.  On the date of the release of their debut album, Party Rock, this duo pulled out all the tricks.  

Doors opened at 8:30, so I figured I'd make the casual 10:30-11 arrival - hoping that I hadn't missed anything.  What I walked into sounded like an epic club party - and turned out to be just that.  Although not filled to the brim yet - the heat inside let you know that the dance floor was going to be sweaty and dirty.  Taking a tour through the crowd - it was a nice swath of the youth community dressed in their cutest bright tanks, windbreakers and other gear replete with plastic rimmed Rayban like glasses to round out the patented hipster look.  These hipster kids, however, were ready to party.  Before LMFAO even came on, these kids were getting down to the DJ like he was the headliner.  I found myself in a crew of barely out of high schoolers who were a piece of fabric away from sex on the dancefloor....I thought it added some authenticity to the party charged and sexualized atmosphere.

Not feeling like I fit in with the barely legal crowd, I moved over to the VIP area - where I had a little more space, the women were a little more refined and I felt a little more comfortable.  I had a great vantage point and was ready to go....

Shortly after the DJ stepped off the stage (sorry DJ, I forgot your name cause LMFAO was RMFAO), LMFAO came on to a nearly packed house that was ready to cheer from the get go.  The duo announced how excited they were for the release of the album and how happy they were to be kicking off the party in Los Angeles and the crowd gave the appropriate cheering response.  Accompanying LMFAO's party antics and lively demeanor was an awesome stage backing including a screen for projecting words and light shows.

After LMFAO's introduction, they quickly got after it and the house came alive.  It seemed like everyone was dancing - and that was before they even turned to their anthems or brought out the girls on stage or the crowd surfing began.  (I can't recall the last time I saw so many crowd surfers - 2 at once in a 500 person venue in LA....when was the last time you saw that?)  After playing several songs - LMFAO took it to a new level with Lil' Hipster Girl when they brought out this petite, young and attractive girl to act as their hipster girl.  In her little LMFAO themed get up and short skirt - she caught all the guys attention.  While some may have continued to pant over the hipster girl, I was quickly moving on to the girl in the polka dot bikini when they burst out in I'm In Miami Bitch.  LMFAO straight up had a voluptuous white girl in an outfit that could be torn off - and when the words "in a polka dot bikini" came up - they tore her clothes off to reveal a badunkadunk in a pink polka dot bikini (side note --> they sell the polka dot bikini for $40!).   

With badunkadunk and hipster girl already on stage, the dancing got raunchier, the booties continued to bounce and LMFAO made the most of their Party Rock event.  Moving seamlessly from one song to the next, while never skipping a beat and maintaining the crowds energy at a maximum level, LMFAO looked more like grizzled concert and party veterans as opposed to performers at their first album release party.  In fact, they almost brought the entire venue down with their anthemic version of I Am Not A Whore.   If tonight's performance is any indication of what to expect from this group - Interscope is going to be very happy that they signed them to a 360 deal.  


No comments: