The third year of Filter Magazine's Culture Collide may be the gem of the day boasting a line-up of international talent that also includes the very late addition of homegrown L.A. talent like Poolside (they are replacing Bonde Do Role) and other American acts like School of Seven Bells, Class Actress, The Royal Teeth, ProbCause and more - as well as gangs of foreign artists. S.O. Terik presents the dayfest - which is free for all with an RSVP, although a $5 donation is suggested if you did not purchase a festival pass. After the festival wraps up - roll to Bootleg for a free Mono/Poly show or go to Echoplex for after party.
Fool's Gold Day Off will also be a rager, of a slightly more electronicized and hip-hopped out variety, in downtown L.A. Their list is closed - and the 2-8 pm soiree will likely reach capacity before its 2nd hour, so go early if you're into the likes of A-Trak, Cool Kids, Danny Brown, Casey Veggies, Nick Catchdubs, Chromeo (DJ Set), Congorock, Donnis and more. Fool's Gold's event likely will be the epicenter of swag this Sunday - and a lot of festival attendees are likely to roll from downtown to Chuck Inglish's Sounds Like Fun event at The Central SAPC.
Last but not least is the westside's Abbot Kinney Festival. Running from 10 am to 6 pm - the free westside shindig enters its 28th year and features a smattering of L.A. artists including Nite Jewel, American Royalty, Them Jeans, DWNTWN, and even westside residents Guns in the Sun DJs. If you're there - consider rolling your evening into Del Monte Speakeasy - where Dustbowl Revival takes over the basement speakeasy.
For those staying in to catch football and relax on Sunday - the standard concerts are nothing to shake a stick at either. Florence & The Machine rock Hollywood Bowl for the first of two nights - with additional help from The Weeknd and The Maccabees. Roll from there to W Hotel and catch the end of Dim Mak's weekly event at Drai's with beats from Bag Raiders this week. eAlso in Hollywood is an intimate indie at The Hotel Cafe with tastemaker Nic Harcourt - who has invited The Lonely Wild and a few other acts to perform.
Other noteworthy shows include The Hood Internet at Los Globos, Steel Pulse at House of Blues - ANaheim and !!! at Alex's Bar. A full list of L.A.'s musical offerings for October 7th is below.
- FILTER MAGAZINE’S CULTURE COLLIDE FESTIVAL w/ Of Montreal, Niki and The Dove, Poolside, Class Actress, Icona Pop, The Wombats, School of Seven Bells, DIIV, The Royal Teeth, ProbCause, Colorfeels, Chancellor Warhol, Morning Parade, Gold Fields, Half Moon Run, Terminal, Kyst, The Standards, Monster Cat, Marit Larsen, Efrat Ben Zur, Mimes of Wine, Go Back To The Zoo, ProbCause, Sudden Weather Change, Resplandor, The Moog, Optic Yellow Felt, Coldair, The Kavangahs, Huddle, The Trouble with Templeton @ CULTURE COLLIDE STREET FESTIVAL (FREE w/ RSVP)
- FILTER MAGAZINE’S CULTURE COLLIDE FESTIVAL AFTER PARTY @ The Echoplex (FREE w/ Culture Collide Wristband)
- Part Time Punks – The Cure Tribute Nite @ The Echo
- FOOL's GOLD DAY OFF w/ A-Trak, Danny Brown, Chromeo (DJ Set), Cool Kids, Casey Veggies, Congorock, Oliver, Donnis, Kingdom, Nick Catchdubs + Special Guests @ Downtown LA (FREE)
- Mono/Poly, ELOS, Fat Albert Einstein, Kone, Jincallo, Dave Betamax, Heru @ Bootleg Bar (FREE)
- Six60, Tempest (Gabrielle Wortman) @ Bootleg Bar
- New Order, Run Run Run @ Greek Theatre
- Florence & The Machine, The Weeknd, The Maccabees @ Hollywood Bowl
- Imagination Movers @ Club Nokia (2 PM; 5 PM)
- Max Schneider @ The Roxy
- Fire At Play, Taro Heart, Jadapod, Fine @ The Viper Room
- Break Science, Michael Menert, Ancona @ El Rey Theatre (CANCELLED)
- Rock The Walk L.A. – Music Activism to End Aids @ Rock The Walk L.A.
- Nic Harcourt Presents Laura Marling, Florence Hartigan, The Lonely Wild, Kita Klane @ The Hotel Café
- B’z @ Gibson Amphitheatre
- Chuck Inglish Presents: Sounds Like Fun w/ Chuck Inglish, DJ Sour Milk, DJ Drew Byrd, Very Special Guests @ The Central SAPC
- The Hood Internet, Body Language, Kid Static, Oscillator Bug @ Los Globos
- Roger Clyne, PH Naffah, Danny Hamilton @ Saint Rocke
- !!!, Special Guests @ Alex’s Bar
- The Toledo Show @ Harvelle’s
- Ampersand, Smooth Hound Smith, Jet Pilot Jerry, Paul and the Kir @ TRiP (FREE)
- The Lumineers @ The Observatory
- Bag Raiders, Fashen, DJ Metric @ Drai’s
- Circa Survive, Touche Amore, Balance and Composure, O’Brother @ Fox Theater Pomona
- Mono, Chris Brokaw @ The Glass House
- My Life with The Thrill Kill Kult @ Constellation Room
- Zoobombs, The Stanleys, The Condors, Plastic Soul @ Redwood Bar
- Letlive, Silver Snakes @ Slidebar (FREE)
- Dustbowl Revival @ Del Monte Speakeasy
- ABBOT KINNEY FESTIVAL w/ Nite Jewel, Living Things, American Royalty, Them Jeans, DWNTWN, Ethio-Cali Ensemble, Slow Magic, Tutu Sweeney & The Brothers Band, Bixel Boys, Guns in the Sun, Chicano Batman, Pharoahs, Carousel, Aaron Embry, Keith 2.0 @ Abbot Kinney Festival
- Tapioca & The Flea, Warships, Blonde Summer, Fay Wrays @ CicLAvia Party
- Dr. Dog, Cotton Jones @ Pappy & Harriet’s
- Steel Pulse @ House of Blues – Anaheim
- Melissa Etheridge @ Terrace Theater
- Haochen Zhang @ Pepperdine University
- Kenny Wayne Shepherd @ Canyon Club
- Further @ Santa Barbara Bowl
- Lloyd Cole @ McCabe’s Guitar Shop