Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Mayer Hawthorne Is Coming Up...

Saw Mayer Hawthorne and The County open up for James Pants and Peanut Butter Wolf tonight. Mayer has a style that has both a little bit of rap swagger and a little bit of Chris Isaak crooner (but not as sexy). I was impressed with his performance, and the band backing him (The County) was decent.

I expect to hear his name pop up more in the future. With the right guidance, or producer, he could really make some moves. It would probably be a good project for Mark Ronson. Although this guy does not have the vocal skills of an Amy Winehouse, Ronson would be a perfect match for creatively using both horn melodies and Mayer's voice to carry a song. At the very least, I am sure that Mayer Hawthorne could benefit from the Ronson treatment.

As for the rest of the night - James Pants disappointed me. It was the first time I saw him perform, and although he had a band, I definitely prefer listening to him on record.

Ont he other hand, PBW was worth the price of admission. PBW did this really cool set involving video DJing. It looked like he was using a program like Serrato that allowed him to scratch music videos. The videos were cool, some of which I had never seen, and at one point he did a multi-song J Dilla tribute...including some of the bangers.

No comments: